- Participatory Guarantee System (PGS):
The training will provide an introduction to participatory guarantee systems and a general overview on the East African Organic Products Standards (EAOPS). Participants will then learn about the PGS leadership structure, key positions and related responsibilities. After this, there will be a democratic election to select persons to fill these key roles. Trainees will then learn about record keeping in PGS and PGS manual development before going on an optional study visit to a PGS group. There after the PGS is reviewed and if in compliance the certificate is issued
- Internal Control Systems (ICS): This module is relevant to producer groups targetting 3rd party certification. At the end of the sessions ICS structure will be in place for implementation. The trainer will give trainees an introduction to ICS, the ICS structure and ICS staff. There will then be a democratic election to select group members to fill the ICS positions.Following this, trainees will learn about and develop an ICS manual as well as being trained on the different forms of documentation/ record keeping necessary for ICS. An optional study visit to ICS groups may be provided as part of this module.
Marketing and Value Chain Development
Kenya Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN) organizes 3-5 days training for trainers of trainers (TOTs) on Value Chain Development and access to market. The aim was to train Trainers of Trainers who in turn are expected to train lead farmers on the same to improve their capacity on production for the market place. The trained lead farmers are work hand in hand with farmers groups and other interested communities members to develop functional value chains to ensure organic products get to market in required time, quality , quantity and consistently.
The areas of the training are
- Understanding how market functions and how to carry out simple market surveys
- Understanding organic Standardization and certification for various markets
- Participatory guarantee system ( PGS) for local market certification
- Understand Value chain approach in market development
- Business plans development and entrepreneurship
- Branding ,Packaging and presentation of Organic Products
KOAN also works with companies across the sectors